When you attend an Alliance Learning Circle (ALC) event, you have a chance to learn the latest in benefit plan design from local and nationally-known expert speakers.
An additional benefit for our member-employers is the opportunity to network with your peers. Our more than 240 member-employers come from different industries and market segments, but they all have one thing in common – they are employers with self-funded health insurance plans who want high-value health care for their employees and families.
We Listen to our Members
Several of our members noted that they enjoyed talking with and learning from their peers during networking breaks at ALC events. In fact, they
wanted more networking to learn how their peers have navigated the challenges of benefit plan design.
Benefit plan design is a rapidly-changing field with a diverse array of choices to create the best results for an employer’s workforce. Many of our members have been early adopters of innovative high-value health care options. Others are exploring pharmacy benefits, onsite clinics and telemedicine.
We wanted to create a discussion during an ALC event to encourage members to share their challenges and best practices on these topics and more.
Facilitated Small Group Discussions
Based on feedback from our members, The Alliance added a roundtable discussion to the Dec. 1, 2015, benefits and reporting requirements ALC event. Approximately 60 employers, agents and industry professionals gathered at Monona Terrace to discuss five hot topics in benefit plan design.
Staff from The Alliance facilitated 10 small group discussions where attendees shared their best practices, concerns and questions. Following
the small group discussions, highlights were shared with the larger group.
Five topics were discussed: steerage and medical tourism, value-based insurance design (VBID)/wellness, telehealth/telemedicine and
onsite clinics, consumer-directed health plans and the excise tax and prescription medications, including Rx and specialty Rx tiers.
Attendees discussed these topics in small groups and then reported highlights of their findings to all attendees.
Download our Benefits Discussion Summary eBook
Download our eBook and you can learn about benefit plan design issues, including:
- Best practices for steerage.
- Use of medical tourism.
- How VBID is used for disease management.
- How VBID helps companies manage chronic conditions.
- Current telehealth, telemedicine and onsite clinic options.
- Why approximately two out of three participating employers offer at least one high-deductible
health plan (HDHP) with a health savings account (HSA).
- Employer concerns about offering a consumer-directed health plan.
- The impact of prescription drug price increases on the total cost of health care.
The information in this eBook provides a snapshot of our members’ challenges, barriers, thoughts, ideas, aspirations and best practices.
We enjoyed facilitating this networking discussion event and were inspired by the open sharing of ideas between our members. As a not-for-profit, employer-owned cooperative, we exist to help our members manage their health care dollars while positively impacting their employees’ health. We look forward to offering future networking events.
More networking opportunities
This roundtable discussion was the first of its kind. And it was so well received that members asked for a discussion at our wellness event. An optional lunch and afternoon wellness discussion was offered at our Jan. 21, 2016 Wellness Success in the Workplace ALC event. The results of this discussion will be part of a future blog post.
We are here to help facilitate networking opportunities for you. If you have suggestions for member discussions or other networking opportunities, please contact Mike Roche, member services manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.223.4139 x6645.
- Download our Summary of The Alliance Benefits Roundtable eBook.
- Download our Summary of The Alliance Annual Benefits Survey eBook.
- Read 7 Things Employers and Employees Really Want to Know to see the most popular topics viewed on The Alliance’s website in 2015.
- Download our onsite clinics executive summary to learn more about The Alliance’s Onsite Clinic User Group.
- Moving Upstream in Health Care: The Role for Employers - June 17, 2019
- Employer Connections: Benefit Design Challenges and Solutions - May 13, 2019
- How to Give Your Employees Access to High-Value Primary Care - April 30, 2019