Help The Alliance Achieve Its Mission!
The Alliance serves as the voice for employers that self-fund their health benefit plans and want more control over their costs. We offer custom, high-value provider networks (SmarterNetworks℠) that drive serious savings for our clients while drastically improving their employees’ access to high-value health care.
We’re smart, confident, and optimistic; we have an undeniable passion for – and commitment to – improving the physical, emotional, and financial well-being of our clients and their employees. This is our life’s work, driven by our shared values; we take it seriously but do it with a smile.
The Health Care Value Analytics Programmer / Analyst is a vital part of The Alliance’s success and will work in conjunction with the other analysts, developers, and team members to help grow the health care data and analytic capabilities across the organization. This role will provide programming, analytical support, data extraction, cleansing, and integration under the supervision of the Manager of Analytics. The Programmer / Analyst will solidify and extend current capabilities using big data resources in areas including risk adjustment, resource utilization, cost, quality and price analysis, attribution, and segmentation. This new role will work to integrate new and novel sources of data and help to define and measure health care value for clients.
Data Integrity – This role will work alongside other analysts and developers to further enhance how we deliver and disseminate data to clients, health care providers and consumers. The role will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy of data and validity of analyses and work products in areas that span across the organization. Specific duties include:
- Works with staff on their informational needs and fulfills ongoing reporting requests
- Develops and maintains processes to support Extraction Transformation and Loading (ETL) of public, purchased and proprietary data
- Troubleshoots, tests, and performs root cause analyses of observed data and analytic issues
- Coordinates with The Alliance partner analytic departments, building and maintaining ongoing relationships with those vendor partners to build out, maintain, and support data connections. This includes the development and implementation of data collection systems that optimize database efficiency and quality
- Keeps informed of trends and developments which influence the cooperative, health benefits industry, or provider cost and quality information
- Assists with the identification and creation of goals, benchmarks, and other key performance indicators to be used in the evaluation of products, projects, and processes
Analytic Services – The Programmer / Analyst will work across the organization to fill analytic needs. This role will need to work with other developers and end users to help define data and analytic needs that will reduce cost and improve quality in health care across our membership. This includes:
- Becomes knowledgeable in large health care datasets from Wisconsin Health Information Organization (WHIO), various Hospital Associations, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, and native datamarts.
- Becomes knowledgeable in the creation and application of health care data enhancement tools and methodologies including:
- Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG),
- Risk Adjustment,
- Patient and Provider Attribution,
- Total Cost of Care Methodologies (TCOC),
- Optum Episode Treatment Groups (ETG),
- Claims based health care quality measures
- Cost Estimation techniques
- Responds to inquiries related to the methodology or calculations used to arrive at the various analyses produced
- Looks for and identify patterns and potential issues and opportunities in complex data sets
- Designs data visualizations to improve interpretability for employer and provider partners
- Continues to assess and address stakeholder needs, analytic tools, partner capabilities to continue to move existing analytics from being descriptive toward prediction and prescription analytics
In addition to providing analytical and data integrity expertise, the Programmer / Analyst needs someone with strong verbal and written communication skills to interact professionally across multiple departments. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have:
- Expertise in data tools used by The Alliance including, but not limited to, SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Services Reporting Services, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, Power BI, Microsoft Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System and Visual Basic.
- A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in information technology or a related field and with a focus on data integrity and analytics.
- Two years’ experience in a professional setting and proven experience in data maintenance and analytics, preferably in a healthcare or insurance setting. Preference given toward experience working with healthcare big data assets.
- Technical expertise regarding data extraction, transformation and loading.
This position can initially work remotely, if desired, and post-pandemic the position can work remotely one to two days/week.
As a not-for-profit cooperative, The Alliance is employer-owned and remains a trusted, objective partner for employers and their brokers who seek improved access to high-quality healthcare.
We’re Madison-based, but we work with 285+ employers across the Midwest and contract with over 31,000 doctors and health care providers in the region. Our goal is to help employers better manage their healthcare costs while remaining transparent and emphasizing value – creating healthier, more engaged workforces.
The Alliance is celebrating over 30 years as a mission-driven and member-focused collective with experienced leadership and strong organizational departments backed by top talent. By joining The Alliance, you’ll become part of a passionate, collaborative, and supportive organization: one that fosters meaningful connections and relationships with high levels of employee engagement and satisfaction.
Our health plan is self-funded, which means we share the same interests and use the same tools that we offer our clients. We lead by example because when we take care of our employees, they take care of our clients (and their employees.)
We set our employees up for success, encouraging not only their professional advancement but also their personal growth. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including health/dental/vision/life insurances, a generous Staff Incentive Bonus program, 401(k), and annual Continuing Education and Wellness benefits.
The Alliance is unable to provide sponsorship for a H1-B work visa at this time.
Equal Opportunity Employer.