The Health Care Analytics Programmer / Analyst works in conjunction with the other analysts, developers and department team members to help grow the health care data and analytic capabilities across the organization. This role provides programming, analytical support, data extraction, cleansing, and integration. The Programmer / Analyst will solidify and extend current capabilities using big data resources in areas including risk adjustment, resource use consumption, cost and price analysis, attribution, and segmentation. The Alliance seeks to reduce cost and improve quality in health care. This role supports this mission.
- Works with staff on their informational needs and fulfills ongoing reporting requests
- Develops and maintains processes to support Extraction Transformation and Loading (ETL) of public, purchased and proprietary data.
- Troubleshoot, tests and performs root cause analysis of observed data and analytic issues.
- Expertise in data tools used by The Alliance including, but not limited to, SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Services Reporting Services, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System and Visual Basic.
- Liaises with Alliance partner analytic departments, building and maintaining ongoing relationships with those vendor partners to build out, maintain and support data connections.
- Keeps informed of trends and developments which influence the cooperative, health benefits industry, or provider cost and quality information.
- Assists with the identification and creation of goals, benchmarks and other key data drivers to be used in the evaluation and member processes and experiences.
Analytic Services – The Programmer / Analyst works across the organization to fill analytic needs by working with other developers and end users to help define both data and analytic needs to reduce cost and improve quality in health care across our membership. Responsibilities include the ability to successfully:
- Become knowledgeable in large health care datasets from Wisconsin Health Information Organization, various Hospital Associations, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, and native datamarts.
- Become knowledgeable in the creation and application of health care data enhancement tools and methodologies including:
- Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG),
- Risk Adjustment,
- Patient and Provider Attribution,
- Total Cost of Care Methodologies (TCOC),
- Optum Episode Treatment Groups (ETG),
- Cost Estimation techniques.
- Respond to inquiries related to the methodology or calculations used to arrive at the various analyses produced.
- Look for and identify patterns and potential issues and opportunities in complex data sets.
- The equivalent of a B.S. in actuarial sciences, mathematics, economics, computer science or engineering with an emphasis and interest in data analytics.
- Two years or more of proven experience in office experience and proven experience in data maintenance and analytics are required, preferably in a healthcare or insurance setting. Preference given toward experience working with healthcare big data assets (e.g. Wisconsin Hospital Association datasets, Wisconsin Health Information Organization or other proprietary health care datamarts) and data extraction tools (e.g. Transact Structured Query Language (T SQL), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Visual Basic for Applications, Microsoft Excel, Power BI, Tableau, Johns Hopkins Adjusted Clinical Groups (ACG) Case-Mix System, Optum Episode Treatment Groups (ETGs))
- Able to complete detailed and complex analysis. Strong spreadsheet. graphing and relational database experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Familiar with health care and insurance terminology.
- Technical expertise regarding data extraction, transformation and loading.
- Knowledge of and experience with reporting packages (Tableau, Excel, Power BI) and databases (SQL etc.).
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management Systems.
- The ability to work well in cross-functional teams; comfortable contributing substantially in internal meetings.
- Experience with CRMs preferred.
The Alliance is unable to provide sponsorship for a H1-B work visa at this time.
Equal Opportunity Employer.