- Cheryl DeMars, president and CEO of The Alliance, took the stage at Disrupt Madison to talk about how employers can join together to “disrupt” health care and create positive change. This speech was a prelude to the unveiling of The Alliance’s High-Value Health Care initiative at the cooperative’s annual meeting, and a call-to-action for employers to get involved to help change health care.
Have you watched the classic movie, The Wizard of Oz?
Then you probably remember Dorothy’s ruby slippers.
Do you remember what Glinda the Good Witch said to Dorothy about the slippers?
She said, “You’ve always had the power my dear. You just had to learn it for yourself.”
The Power Within Alliance Members
Dorothy trying to find her way home reminds me of employers trying to change health care. You have the power, you just have to learn it yourself.
The Alliance is a cooperative of 240 ruby-slipper wearing employers who are taking control of health care through self-funding.
- In Baraboo, Wis., Flambeau opened its own health care clinic for employees. The clinic provides free care to employees many of whom were not getting routine preventive care. Over the course of the next five years, Flambeau’s health care costs rose less than one percent – not per year, but IN TOTAL – IN 5 YEARS.
- In Westfield, Wis., Brakebush Brothers did even better. In 2014, they began self-funding their benefit plan, opened an on-site health care clinic and made other investments in employee well-being. Four years later, their health care costs are less than they were in 2014. Yes, that is correct – their health care costs went down.
The Alliance helps employers realize the power of their ruby slippers. And, together, we are making a difference in this market. Alliance members are moving their business to doctors and hospitals that provide good care and cost less. In the process, they are creating a market that recognizes and rewards better value – just like every other industry.
We invite you to join us – the more the merrier. Because after all, there’s no place like The Alliance . . . There’s no place like The Alliance . . . There’s no place like The Alliance.
- WHIO: Improving Health Care in Wisconsin with Award-Worthy Work - December 1, 2020
- Recap: Health Policy Webinar by The Alliance - October 19, 2020
- Our Ruby Slippers: The Power of Alliance Membership - October 15, 2019