- This event has passed.
Obesity in the Workplace: A Critical Conversation with Varying Viewpoints
2018, Feb 13 @ 8:00 am - 11:30 am
The Alliance received a grant from Novo Nordisk and the National Alliance of Health Care Purchasers to hold this event.
Obesity rates and the related health care costs continue to rise. In the United States two-thirds of adults and one-third of children struggle with being overweight or obese. In Wisconsin alone, obesity is linked to more than 60 chronic diseases that push up the cost of employer sponsored benefits. Obesity is called a gateway condition because it can lead to heart disease, diabetes and hypertension.
Employers have a vital role in reducing these rates through workplace culture and benefits. But how do employers approach employees who may be at risk without being invasive? What else can employers do to move beyond existing wellness programs and benefit plan design?
The Alliance will bring together facts, health benefit plan design ideas, wellness program approaches and employer examples that show how to reduce the obesity rate in the workplace as multi-stakeholders participate in a facilitated discussion with presentations.
|8 – 8:30 a.m.||Registration, Breakfast & Welcome|
|8:30 – 9:00 a.m.||Jon Morgan, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit|
|9:00 – 9:15 a.m.||Jocelyn Kerl, Clinical Services Manager, PharmD, National CooperativeRx|
|9:15 – 9:45 a.m.||Dr. Anne Lidor, Bariatric Surgeon, UW Health|
|9:45 – 10:15 a.m.||Melina Kambitsi, Vice President, Business Development and Member Services, The Alliance|
|10:15 – 10:30 a.m.||Networking Break|
|10:30 – 10:45 a.m.||Melanie Nelson, Owner, Good Food Low Carb Cafe|
|10:45 – 11:05 a.m.||Pam Geis, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit, National Diabetes Prevention Program|
|11:05 – 11:20 a.m.||Nar Ramkissoon, Partner Development Strategy, American Medical Association|
|11:20 – 11:30 a.m.||Discussion and Recap|
|11:30 a.m.||Closing Comments & Adjourn, Teri Van Tassel, Vice President, Marketing and Product Innovation|
- Jon Morgan, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit
- Jocelyn Kerl, Clinical Services Manager, Pharm D, National CooperativeRx
- Dr. Anne Lidor, Bariatric Surgeon, UW Health
- Melanie Nelson, Owner, Good Food Low Carb Cafe
- Pam Geis, Wisconsin Department Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit, National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Nar Ramkissoon, Partner Development Strategy, American Medical Association
- How-To Checklist for Small Employers
- National Diabetes Prevention Program
- National Diabetes Prevention Program Coverage Toolkit
- Diabetes Prevention Program – Registry of Recognized Organizations
- Prediabetes Screening Test
- The Cost of Diabetes in the U.S.: Economic and Well-Being Impact
- Prevent Diabetes STAT website
Watch the Presentations
Worksite Wellness Wisconsin
Jon Morgan, WI Department of Health Services – Chronic Disease Prevention Unit
A Pharmacist’s Perspective
Jocelyn Kerl, National CooperativeRx
Working in Wisconsin to Prevent Diabetes and its Complications
Pam Geis, WI Department of Health Services – Chronic Disease
A Patient Perspective
Melina Kambitsi, The Alliance